It had the same owners for more than 40 years. Here’s why that’s a mixed bag.
Anyone who’s driven through the Hollywood Hills has marveled at the mansions that dangle off the mountainside, perched on nothing more than spindly support beams and thin air. What voyeurs (and commuters) will have missed, though, is a certain mid-century compound, hidden behind a gate and landscaping, that sits on a miraculous plateau—1.25 acre of nearly flat ground.
The house, which has four bedrooms and four baths spread across approximately 4,500 square feet of living space, was built in 1959 by architect Eugene Kinn Choy. He designed various houses in the style of modernist architects Richard Neutra and Rudolph Schindler, but distinguished himself by making houses that were quite livable.
This one, intended for a nuclear family (the Branders), was zoned to include a tennis court. The Branders were horticulturally minded though, and instead opted for a very large rose garden.