North Korea is willing to hold talks with the United States on denuclearization and will suspend nuclear tests while those discussions are under way, the South said on Tuesday after a delegation returned from meeting the North's leader Kim Jong Un.
Responding to the news in a series of tweets, U.S. President Donald Trump said he saw “possible progress” and that “for the first time in many years, a serious effort is being made by all parties concerned”.
The potential talks “may be false hope, but the U.S. is ready to go hard in either direction,” Trump tweeted.
There was no immediate comment from Pyongyang.
“North Korea made clear its willingness to denuclearize the Korean peninsula and the fact there is no reason for it to have a nuclear programme if military threats against the North are resolved and its regime is secure,” the head of the South Korean delegation, Chung Eui-yong, told a media briefing.
North and South Korea, still technically at war but enjoying a significant easing in tension since the Winter Olympics in the South last month, will also hold their first summit in more than a decade next month at the border village of Panmunjom, Chung said.